This Page

has been moved to new address

Blogger of the Month (February): Carrie

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Sprinkles in Springs: Blogger of the Month (February): Carrie

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blogger of the Month (February): Carrie

This month's featured blogger is Carrie from This Free Bird. In true Californian fashion, she is every bit the "free bird" when it comes to her personal style, wearing mostly bohemian ensembles with the occasional New York 'Palermo' twist. Carrie's posts are super funny, excruciatingly stylish, and always sincere. She's the unofficial spokesperson of Free People, but my official February Blogger of the Month.
How did you first get into blogging and why?  I was bored.  I've been an Executive Recruiter for over 10 years and worked primarily in Retail/Wholesale/Consumer.  When the economy slowed down and I didn't have the search load I'd been accustomed to, I was feeling disconnected from the industry.  For years one of the Senior Partners I work closely with had been encouraging me to write a book, and several of my friends in retail had been on me to start blogging.  Since I'm not  sure how one even goes about beginning to write a book I went the route of the blog. 
What do you think is the best thing about blogging?  The sense of community with other bloggers has been an unexpected delight - and I love the sharing of ideas.  Who doesn't want to grow as a person?  That comes by learning!
How do you handle it when you just can’t think of anything to write about?  This really doesn't happen to me - usually I have the opposite - too many things I'd like to write about and not enough time.  Then again I find humor and inspiration in a spider hanging above a pile of clothing that hasn't made it out of the bathroom and into the laundry room...


Who do you look up to within the blogosphere & why?
  Carey at Corks + Caftans.  I've been reading the blog she writes with her husband, Rob, for about 2 years - long before I even contemplated blogging, read any others, or was even aware of what blogs really were.  She is an excellent writer, her outfit posts are original and thoughtful, and the blog itself is very unique.  Carey is comfortable with herself and not trying to be anyone else.  And she totally cracks me up!! Did you ever see the post where Rob cut the fringe off her skirt and DIY'd a headband?  I about fell off my chair in hysterics!
What advice would you give to new bloggers?  Be yourself.  Don't worry/think about what everyone else is doing - do what you want to do and provide content that is meaningful to you.  If you do that, the rest will flow naturally.
What mistakes/ realizations have you come to throughout your journey as a blogger? Is it harder/easier/more fun than you expected?  I don't know that I've made any mistakes, but I have realized that blogging is a lot harder than I thought  it would be simply because it is time consuming...  A good post takes consideration and consideration takes time.  I also try to respond to as many comments as possible, but sometimes I just don't have enough time with work and I feel badly about that.  As the writer of a blog, I feel a certain level of commitment to the people who take the time to read it.  And that means responding as often as I'm able..  However I'm also trying not to let the blog run my life.  Everyone needs personal time, too.  So finding and maintaining that balance is something I'm currently working on.

How would you describe your personal style?  This is tough for me because the pendulum swings between Boho-chic and Classic/Basic Prep.  Is that close enough?  I'm a touch of Farrah Fawcett, a dash of Stevie Nicks, a pinch of Janet Wood and Mrs. Roper meets Olivia Palermo, Lauren Hutton and Jackie O.  I'm all kinds of in love with different styles which is why you see my outfits run the full gamut!  I also think that Keri Russell is flawless - whether she's in jeans and a T or dressed for awards.  There is a young woman who is comfortable in her own skin.
Where do you get your style inspirations?  Looking back.  I am always looking back through images of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis, Audrey Hepburn, and Farrah Fawcett.  When I'm watching movies I will earmark certain ones to return to:  A Lot Like Love w/Amanda Peet and Ashton Kutcher:  Amanda Peet's style is me to a t in that movie.  But who can't find inspiration from Carrie Bradshaw?  I know it's cliche, but it's totally true.  
Who are your influences/ fashion favorites?  Isabel Marant and Gaby Basora.  My two faves hands down.  Sarah Jessica Parker a distant third as far as styling goes.


What role does your budget play in shaping your style?  I'm not independently wealthy (sad, but true), so it has to play a role.  I think long term, watch sales, and hold myself accountable.  I'm not a blogger that wears things once and you never see it again.  I buy things I love and will want to wear multiple times for more than one season.  Look for me in all my Tucker pieces again this spring and summer!  They were an investment that I'll have for years to come.  A lot of the things I wear now, I've had for years.
Whose closet would you most like to raid?  Olivia Palermo.  Or maybe the Olsen Twins!!  I'm close to the same size as all 3 of them so that would minimize the alterations....haha!!
What are some things on your bucket list?  Visit Israel, see the sun rise/set over the Black Sea, own a home on an island in the Pacific Northwest
What is(are) your personal motto(s)? I strive to live my life in such a way that I will never look back and say "Gee I wish I would have..."



 Thank you, Carrie!

Labels: , , , ,

23 Comments:

At February 1, 2011 at 12:53 PM , Anonymous Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] said...

Great interview!! I used to work in retail and it is tough stuff! It's more fun to play with fashion outside of what the masses want...

 
At February 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM , Blogger this free bird said...

Kara this is BEYOND wonderful!! THANK YOU so much for having me here...I'm adding the link to my post today and tomorrow for sure so readers will visit. I'm so flattered - you have got serious skills with the art, my friend!!

xoxo,
Carrie

 
At February 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM , Blogger Ashleigh said...

Aww, love it! Love Carrie and it was great to learn more about her. Very nice to 'meet' you Kara, these drawings are fabulous!! I totally recognize them!

 
At February 1, 2011 at 5:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yay! I LOVE Carrie and love this feature! She is one of my fave bloggers and I even met her in real life--she's awesome.

 
At February 1, 2011 at 5:52 PM , Blogger Valerie said...

What a great interview! I love Carrie and her style is flawless. Your pictures are SO AMAZING!!! You're really talented.

 
At February 1, 2011 at 6:29 PM , Blogger TheChambrayCountess said...

Love this interview bc I love Carrie, I love your questions and I love the illustrations! Excellent read!

 
At February 1, 2011 at 7:00 PM , Blogger Daniela said...

yay carrie! love her. so funny and uninhibited!

 
At February 1, 2011 at 8:04 PM , Blogger Daniela said...

yes, 20 mph. Now imagine trying to get anywhere on time.
I'm moving to florida!

 
At February 1, 2011 at 8:36 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

This is such a great article! I love Carrie! You really captured her beautifully! :)

http://www.glamlatte.com

 
At February 1, 2011 at 9:55 PM , Blogger Lisa Griffin said...

i love this free bird and your illustrations are incredible! well done!!!
www.indramaticfashion.com

 
At February 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM , Blogger Taylor said...

What a stunning interview!!! Carrie is such an incredible person and through the blog-osphere I consider her a real life friend!!!

Carrie - You are one amazing person and this is proof of how amazing you are!!!!

xox-T

 
At February 1, 2011 at 11:58 PM , Blogger Katherine said...

I love the well thought out interview! Nice pictures as well :)

www.LaPetiteMarmoset.com

 
At February 2, 2011 at 1:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my fave bloggers - awesome interview and amazing pictures! Love, love, love.

 
At February 2, 2011 at 2:43 AM , Blogger Josie said...

I absolutely ADORE Carrie! She's easily one of my very favorite bloggers... Such a sweetheart!
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

 
At February 2, 2011 at 4:00 AM , Blogger Miss Woody said...

love it !!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 7:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE it! You are beyond talented!! xo

 
At February 2, 2011 at 9:05 AM , Blogger Lilacandgrey said...

WOW! This is fabulous and so is Carrie!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Ohmygosh wow is all. You are incredibly talented. I am so jealous! I love Carrie's blog and am so glad she mentioned this post so I could be blown away by your art skills. Girl, you got some talent!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 4:02 PM , Blogger Laura said...

She is an amazing blogger and you asked her some great questions!

 
At February 2, 2011 at 5:03 PM , Blogger *** said...

What an amaizng interview. Carrie's blog is so original, funny and beautifully created and I am so happy to have met her throgh the blogosphere.

Carrie - I love you comment about seeing the sunrise/set over the Balck Sea. I am originally from Bulgaria and I have seen the sun set and rise over the Black Sea numerous times and it is truly incredible.

 
At February 10, 2011 at 12:26 AM , Blogger ag. said...

What an awesome interview...I really feel like I know Carrie so well now! :)

 
At April 15, 2011 at 5:27 PM , Blogger OneCraftyFox said...

Carrie is so, SO awesome!!

 
At April 27, 2011 at 11:37 AM , Blogger Santina said...

Awww, great feature on Carrie! Her blog is definitely one of my daily reads, and it was fun to learn more about her.

Your illustrations are beautiful!

Santina
http://stylebysantina.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

I love to see any and all comments!
PS-Leave a link and I'll visit your blog.

twitter, bloglovin', google

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home